Friday, January 18, 2008

Yeah, so homemade margarine=not so good

Blech. I don't know what I did wrong. Its grainy. And not buttery tasting. Yuck. It might work okay in baked goods, but it most definitely isn't a enjoy on a piece of bread sort of thing. Seriously vomit. I'm communicating with the person who gave me the recipe so hopefully I'll learn something to improve it. In the meantime, I'm hoping it'll go well in the cookie tomorrow.

I need to find a Jewish grocery in the area and see if they carry Mother's or Nucoa. I haven't had luck finding either in the area yet, but of course, its not too close to Passover (not sure Nucoa is for Passover but its supposedly safe for our food allergies).

Its gotten suddenly much colder, but its almost the end of January. So that means spring will be here soon. Right? Right?

On the dorm mom note. A grandma called the main office in charge of student affairs asking about an afghan her grandson left behind when he checked out after the fall semester. Bless her heart, I understand her handiwork went into this afghan, but ultimately it is her grandson's responsibility to keep track of his belongings and move them out. She was trying to get his old room mates number so he could look for it *sigh*. Not happening. Its probably okay FERPA wise, as it's directory information, but not something I was okay with happening. So the student worker did her best to help her.

So what does this mean? By the time someone is old enough to go to college, they are old enough to be responsible for their belongings. Mom, dad, grandma, other family members should not take it upon themselves to look for their college student's belongings. By the time they come to college they are legally adults. Capable of voting, smoking, watching bad movies, going to war, get married, etc. Protecting them from the natural consequences of their behavior is NOT going to be helpful to them in the long run. Increasingly, I'm seeing a lack of personal responsibility in post millennial students, which is puzzling. I don't get the mentality that we need to save our children from the consequences of their actions. And its one that I hope I not do to my son and any future children.

I hope that doesn't come across as condescending, because I most certainly don't intend it to be that way. It's just that if you are sending your child to college soon, please realize that even though they will always be your baby, they will be viewed by the college they attend, their employers and themselves as adults and, really, they deserve to be treated that way.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm seeing that a lot in this generation, too. I work for a University and you would not believe the numbers of kids who do pretty much whatever they please, and the parents who bail them out each and every time. I would've died with mortification before asking my parents to talk to the Dean about why I was failing a class, let alone making excuses for doing so!

Ugh.