Sunday, September 7, 2008

Peanut Free Boiled Cookies (and dairy free too!)

Boiled cookies are one of my dad's favorite cookies (okay, mine too). I've finally found a way to make them safe for Caden as well.These are easy-peasy cookies, which make them even more of a favorite.

Boiled Cookies
1 1/2 cups white sugar
3 tbsp cocoa
1 stick safe margarine or butter (we use Fleishman's Unsalted Sticks)
1/2 cup milk substitute (rice, potato, soy)
1/2 generous cup of sunbutter (made from sunflower seed), maybe more like 1/2 cup plus a tbsp
4 cups oats
1 tsp vanilla

Melt margarine and milk in a large pot on the stove, over low medium heat, add cocoa and sugar and stir to mix. Bring to slow boil and boil for 30 seconds. Turn off heat and add all at once: oats, sunbutter, vanilla. Mix together thoroughly. Spoon mixture onto wax paper and cool. If first couple cookies seem to runny, add a little more oats to pan to help firm them up.

I made these from my mom's recipe which I'll add below. I think they're seriously yummy and a bit healthier than my mom's (sorry, mom).

Original Boiled Cookie Recipe
2 cups sugar
1 stick butter
3 tbsp cocoa
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup peanut butter
3 cups oats
1 tsp vanilla

The directions are the same as the above. For some reason the sunbutter recipe needs more oats to stick together. Enjoy!

2 comments:

dulce de leche said...

Oooh, yummy! Thanks! I think you have just inspired me to make some. :)

Heather said...

Hope you enjoy them. They're a little sticker today so you might want to try doing a flat 1/2 of sunbutter.