Thursday, September 4, 2008

Baked Beans Recipe (tomato and mustard free and maybe gluten too)

Sadly, one of Caden's favorite foods, baked beans, has recently been banished from our kitchen due to a reaction. Reaction to what, we aren't 100% sure but suspect mustard. We were happily using Bush's Honey Baked Beans but cannot any longer. By the way, Bush's was amazing at helping us figure out the possible ingredients that could have caused Caden's reaction.

At any rate, I stumbled somehow across a recipe from the following website and tweaked it to meet our needs. We tried it today and liked it well enough, though Caden refused to eat it. I'm going to make a few changes to it next time, mostly I think I need to add more sweetness and more salt. Sugar and salt being SO good for you and all.

To give credit where credit is due, here is the website where I got the original recipe, my changes will be below the link: http://www.celiactravel.com/blog/2006/11/gluten-free-baked-beans-recipe.html

Baked Beans
¾ of a bag of white beans (soaked over night, boiled for one hour in water)
Very generous drizzles of honey
Generous drizzles of molasses
Half a fist of brown sugar
Half a large onion chopped
Garlic salt
Onion powder
Bacon
Vinegar
Pepper

Layer bacon at bottom of pan
Layer drained beans on top (reserve water)
Add honey, molasses, sugar, onion, seasonings, vinegar and stir together.
Cover with reserved water
Cover with remaining bacon
Cover with lid or tin foil bake at 350 for 4ish hours.


Next time I will add some sort of thickener, maybe corn starch. I like my baked beans to have a thick sauce.

2 comments:

Katie Lou said...

Giving these a try Thursday!

Katie Lou said...

Trying these Thursday night!