Monday, March 10, 2008

What I hate most about food allergies

Food allergies are a pain in the butt. They just are. It's hard keeping a toddler safe, finding a variety of nutritious foods, traveling with allergies, finding safe substitutes for holiday candy, being on an elimination diet, dealing with stupid people (or evil people who think their peanut loving selves should take precedence over someone's safety and well being). Yes, I hate those inconveniences. They make my life more difficult, but it's all worth in the safety of my son.

What I hate MOST about food allergies is the constantly changing goal posts. If Caden's allergies stayed the same, if he developed no new ones, I could handle it. It's being thrown a new one every couple months, that pushes me off keel. We added sesame and chickpea to our lengthy list now. The chickpea isn't a surprise; the sesame is. It does explain a couple of random reactions that we weren't sure what caused. Eating out, if he's able, is going to be even more difficult. I shudder to think what traveling is going to be like this summer.

God, if there was just a cure. Please, God, just a cure!

I'm about ready to lose it. Its not that we had a diet of chickpeas or sesame. Its the new rules. The new danger lurking at every salad bar. In every chef's kitchen. That is what makes living with food allergies so difficult.

No comments: