Friday, October 3, 2008

Allergy Friendly Donuts (not wheat free)

Today, I tried my hand at allergy friendly (and comparatively healthy) donuts. I swiped the recipe from http://ecovegan.blogspot.com/2008/03/vegan-whole-wheat-donut-recipe.html

And over all I'm pleased with the results. Its a bit less sweet than I'm used to in a donut, so I think next time I attempt this, I'm going to add some more sugar.

Some variations I made to the recipe: Splenda (yuck) instead of real sugar or sorghum, about a half cup less flour than the recipe called for, and I forgot the salt. I also cooked them a little longer than 10 seconds a side since that didn't seem quite enough.
The cooking process:



Draining and cooling:



The finished product, rolled in cinnamon sugar:
They're not exactly purty, but not bad for my first attempt at donuts, I hope.
These will be perfect for Caden to eat at the apple orchard tomorrow, though I confess that he's getting one as soon as he wakes up from his nap. His first donut ever! I hope he likes it.






2 comments:

Katie Lou said...

YUM! Wonderful thing for me to try in the morning. Thank you for sharing!

Katie Lou said...

Well, I just wanted to let you know, we just made this in cinn/sugar, choc, and glazed the donut holes. The quote from Lilly says it all. Before she would even touch them she said "Are these dairy free?" *clap clap wonderful coming from a newly 3 year old, and then "these are the bestest, stickest, dirtiest, tummiest thing!" I seriously had tears in my eyes!
Thank you for sharing you find!