Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Happy Birthday, Little Man!

Caden's birthday was yesterday. We had his party on Saturday. He really seemed to enjoy playing with his cousins and Grandpa (and even has a lovely rug burn on his forehead as a result). The family all seemed to enjoy it as well. Besides some finger foods, I made a wacky cake (incidentally, Caden is reacting to butter flavored crisco) and dairy free ice cream. Everyone raved about the ice cream. It was simply Rich's Whipped Topping, Coconut milk, and chocolate pudding. I think it was Caden's first time having ice cream (he has had sorbet before).

He got a whole mess of presents that we don't have much room to accomodate. I should probably weed through his toys again and donate the neglected ones.

I'll attach some pictures at the bottom.
Tomorrow is Ash Wednesday and the beginning of Lent. This will be my first year celebrating Lent. I intend to read Lent based devotionals and forego sweets. I wish I had someone to take me to an Ash Wednesday service. I'm hesitent to go on my own, but I'm increasingly feeling the draw to a liturgical church. I know worship isn't about me, but I don't find much joy or comfort in our church services. When I contemplate the beauty and mystery of Liturgy, it feels much more holy to me. I think that sometimes, in my American common sense, I've tried to "nail down" God to fit that. When I read the Old Testament, I don't see how that is quite possible. God is a mystery and never fully reveals himself to us. He's the burning bush, the cloud, the voice, the dove, the wind. He is the ultimate mystery, and though He reveals snapshots of Himself to us, I don't think that mystery is solved until we see him without our physical limitations. He who knows us when we are a seed in our mother's womb, knows everyday of our life before we live even one, is veiled from us. Yes, we can approach him directly as a Father (praise God), but his essence is inexplicable. I say that all to say, that the matter of fact way that my Protestant, worship seems to overly simplfy God. There is no mystery there. There is no symbolism. And I wonder if that is really what worship was meant to be.


And on a much, much lighter note, here's my special guy.

2 comments:

Megan and Company said...

He's too cute!!

It flies, right?

Happy Birthday, Caden.

tata said...

Blessed Solar Return to your little guy!