Saturday, September 5, 2009

Easy, allergy friendly pancakes (vegan too)

Being a dorm mom extraordinaire and a mom of two smalls, easy is always a benefit in my kitchen. I have been using Bisquik for my pancakes for several years, but I have always had a vague sense of distaste for feeding all that bleached flour to my family. At Costco last week, I noticed that Quaker had oatmeal pancake mix and was excited to have a healthier alternative. Unfortunately, it was not safe for Caden's food allergies. All the whole wheat mixes at Meijer were also out of bounds for allergy reasons. Lucky for me, Jason was shopping with us and spotted the Hodgson Mill Buckwheat Pancake Mix. Safe for us and much healthier than the bisquik nasties.

I modified the recipe on the back of the box to suit our needs and to improve the health factor.

1 and 1/2 cups of Hodgson Mill Buckwheat Pancake Mix
1 and 1/4 to 1 and 1/2 cups So Delicious Coconut Milk (I loathe thick pancakes, if you're an odd canary and like them thick, use closer to one cup of milk substitute)
Spoonful of brown sugar (optional, could also use honey or other sweetener)
2 tbsps ground flax meal stirred with 4 tbsps warm water, let set for 5 minutes.
2-4 Tbsps liquid coconut oil (coconut oil is generally liquidy at room temp, set on a warm window sill if your kitchen runs cooler)

Stir the pancake mix, coconut milk, sugar, and flax meal together. Add liquid oil and stir to combine. Cook on a pre heated and oiled skillet over medium heat until golden brown on one side, flip and cook until golden brown on the other side. Serve with topping of choice.

This is a high fiber pancake, full of omega 3s, iron, and medium chain fatty acids (which can improve your immune system). Enjoy!

No comments: