Saturday, September 5, 2009

Autumn Muffins

I modified the recipe from here http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1862,138166-235200,00.html to suit my needs and tastes. I think I modified it enough to make it really "mine". However, better to give credit where credit is due!

Autumn Muffins
2 ripe bananas
1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
1/3 cup coconut oil
1 can pumpkin
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup white flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup ground flax
1/3 cup wheat germ
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
pumpkin pie spice to taste
cinnamon to taste

1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Mix bananas, pumpkin, and apple sauce in food processor, vitamix or blender.
3. Add to bowl and stir in honey and coconut oil
4. Combine all dry ingredients.
5. Combine dry ingredients with wet ingredients.
7. Oil muffin tin.
8. Bake about 20 minutes for large muffins, 12-14 minutes for mini muffins.

I bet these would taste super good if they were iced or with cream cheese frosting for a more dessert type muffin. These didn't turn out as sweet as I thought they would so a 1/2 cup of brown sugar may be better. Or alternately the icing may sweetened them up a bit without making them too sweet.

Adding: I did end up making a icing with powdered sugar, vanilla, and So Delicious Coconut Creamer (original). It added just a bit more sweetness and made them perfect as far as I'm concerned.

3 comments:

Katie Lou said...

Sounds good Heather, wonder if Imade theseif I could leave out the flax and it not effect the turnout?

Heather said...

Yup, I bet they'd be fine. The bananas and apple sauce should act as the binder just fine. These muffins are really moist so I don't think you'll need to add more liquid or anything.

Nicole said...

Those look heavenly! I'm going to have to try them!