Thursday, May 29, 2008

What every food allergic kid needs

We got Caden one of these in December. I cannot tell you the peace of mind it give me. One of my biggest fears was that we would get in a car accident, and Jason and I would be incapacitated, unable to tell anyone of Caden's food allergies or medical concerns. Medic Alert is the only company I will trust. They print the most pertinent information on the bracelet with and id code. A medical professional can call Medic Alert 24 hours a day any day of the year and receive all pertinent information about Caden, including blood type, allergies, and medical conditions. If you have a child (or adult) with extensive medical conditions, they can even keep a copy of his medical records on file.

I also appreciate that they do not print Caden's name or other identifying information on it. Should he become seperated from us at a mall or airport, a security guard or police officer could call the 800 number and Medic Alert will notify me, or if they are unable to contact me, the remaining people on our contact list.

It's been recommended to me by EMTs to always get the bracelet. That is the first place medical professionals will check. We have the petite emblem on Caden, and it is not too large for a toddler. Large enough to print the pertinent information, small enough to not get in the way. Caden doesn't even notice his anymore.

This has given me such a peace of mind. I don't begrudge the yearly fee (about $30) or the cost of the bracelet ($10), even though we're going to have to replace the bracelet yearly until Caden's growth slows down. If your food allergic child doesn't have one, it's a must buy. And your child doesn't have to have a medical condition to have one. As I said, its a safety precaution even in the event of being separated.

No comments: